Saturday 5 December 2015

Ruawai to Dargaville - Santa and Fish

I am leaving Ruawai today in the search for people.  2 days in a town with no internet and an empty hostel.  I feel the need to annoy someone, and I need humans for that.

I eat my bananas, pack my gear and head out to the highway.  Thumbs UP!  How long will it take me today to get a ride? 

Not long, about 20 minutes and a dad and his son pick me up.  They are Christian missionaries, but don’t try to change me.  They only tell me about all the cool people they have met on their travels.  He even stops to let me take pictures of the Tokatoka volcano.




20 minutes later we are in Dargaville.  I say goodbye to another couple of new friends.  Thanks for the ride and chat!

I am here a little early, it is 10 am and I can’t check in until 3 pm.  I decide to go to the hostel anyways to see if I can leave my bags there while exploring Dargaville.  To no surprise they let me check in, but the room is booked for tomorrow, so I only have one night.  That’s OK, because I later find out that Dargaville doesn’t have much to see.  It is barley bigger than Ruawai.  Good News! Santa Clause Parade is today. 



The parade starts at 12, and I am there at 11:45 am.  The streets are empty.  I am starting to think I misheard what day it was.  Nope, 15 minutes later the street is filled with people and the parade starts.  It isn’t like the parades back home.  It is basically just locals walking down the street signing odd versions of Christmas songs. Cool either way.  This is why I am traveling, so see how locals live.  Not how tourist visit.





After the parade I spot a vendor selling fish sandwiches for $5 bucks.  I have to get one of these.  



Fast forward 10 minutes.  I am in heaven, it was so good.  I now have yummy local fried fish running through my blood and I catch myself spinning in circles with my hands in the air.  How can food make you so happy?



With all of this energy I go back to the hostel to find people to annoy.  I fail at this, but my fault.  The hostel has about 8 other travellers.  They are all from Russia and under the age of 22.  I found it hard to strike up much of a conversion.  I am starting to realize I am 36, not 25 anymore.  Sad face! 


Either way, it was an amazing day.  Thanks Dargaville for Santa and Fish on a bun!

No comments:

Post a Comment